Defend Your Dollars: Share this site! We support reforms to the financial marketplace to curb bad practices by banks and lenders.

Where to Complain

This page contains contact information to help you notify the appropriate government entity when you are having a problem with a financial services provider or product. If you’d like to share your personal financial story with Consumers Union: please click here.

For most consumer finance issues, your best bet is to contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).  However, there are other agencies that play a role in protecting consumers in the market for financial products and services, so they are also listed below.

1. CFPB: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

The CFPB is the agency whose primary mission is to protect consumers from harmful and deceptive financial products and services.  The CFPB regulates big banks (with over $10 billion in assets), and regulates a wide range of nonbanks that provide financial products and services (e.g., payday lenders, mortgage servicers, credit reporting agencies and debt collectors).  It also has the authority to write rules that rein in bad practices in the marketplace and keep consumers and their money safer.

The CFPB is currently taking complaints about credit cards, mortgages, bank accounts, auto loans and student loans.  For help in identifying disreputable practices, information about consumer credit card complaints filed with the CFPB can be viewed online by zip code, product type, institution and resolution. To submit a complaint, you can fill out forms available from the main page of the website or call the consumer help hotline at (855) 411-CFPB to submit a complaint.

You can also tell your story to the CFPB on its website if you are having problems with other financial products and services.

2. FTC: Federal Trade Commission

The FTC also plays a role in enforcing consumer protection laws, especially on privacy, identity theft and some debt collection issues.  It accepts complaints about credit reporting agencies, as well as other non-bank companies like telemarketers and email spammers. The FTC accepts complaints online, by fax, telephone, mail or email.

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
Phone: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357);
TTY: 1-866-653-4261

3. FDIC: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

The FDIC regulates State-chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System. It ensures consumers’ bank account deposits, and has traditionally worked to promote consumer protection.  It accepts complaints online, by fax, telephone, mail or e-mail.

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Consumer Response Center
2345 Grand Boulevard, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64108-2638
Phone: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM CST, Monday-Friday
800-378-9581 (TTY) 800-925-4618
Fax: (703) 812-1020

4. OCC: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

The OCC regulates smaller national banks and federal branches of foreign banks (“National” or initials “N.A.” in the name of the bank). The OCC also accepts credit card complaints. It accepts complaints by fax or mail, and provides a complaint form on its website. To submit a complaint, you may fill out and sign this form and fax or mail it to the OCC Customer Assistance Group.

Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010
Phone: 800-613-6743
Fax: 713-336-4301

5. FRB: The Federal Reserve Board

The FRB regulates Reserve System member banks (except if OCC applies). It  accepts complaints by fax, mail or e-mail.

Federal Reserve Consumer Help
PO Box 1200
Minneapolis, MN 55480
Phone: 8 AM to 6 PM CST
888-851-1920 (TTY: 877-766-8533)
Fax: 877-888-2520

6. NCUA: National Credit Union Administration

The NCUA regulates federal credit unions (any institution with the words “federal credit union” in the name) NCUA accepts complaints by mail, fax or e-mail. Complaints must be sent to the proper regional office. Use the Federal Credit Union Complaint Center. For general information contact the NCUA consumer complaint line at 800-755-1030.

To complain about a federal credit union, click here. If your credit union is state charted, click here.

7. State Complaints

You can also contact the Attorney General or banking agency in your state about consumer finance issues.
For a list of state banking departments, click here.
For a list of state Attorneys General, click here.


Updated July 23, 2012